PageRank is a link analysis algorithm, named after Larry Page and used by the Google web search engine, that assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents, such as the World Wide Web, with the purpose of "measuring" its relative importance within the set. The algorithm may be applied to any collection of entities with reciprocal quotations and references. The numerical weight that it assigns to any given element E is referred to as the PageRank of E and denoted by
The name "PageRank" is a trademark of Google, and the PageRank process has been patented (U.S. Patent 6,285,999). However, the patent is assigned to Stanford University and not to Google. Google has exclusive license rights on the patent from Stanford University. The university received 1.8 million shares of Google in exchange for use of the patent; the shares were sold in 2005 for $336 million.
Credit To: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank
Interesting fact:1. Google usually update toolbar page rank four times a year so around every three months
2. While PageRank is a measure applied to web pages, it’s actually named after Larry Page, one of Google’s two co-founders.
Use This Free Tool To Check The Page Rank Of Your Blog Or Any Web Page.
What do the scores mean?
- PR0 - You are not modify listed. Google knows you live, but that is around it.
- PR1 - Could be exceed. Your site's getting indexed by Google, but you may impoverishment to use on this.
- PR2 - Below fair on the humanity ample web. Above common amongst Bizniks. (But most sites belonging to Biznik members bang PR beneath 1.)
- PR3 - Figure on the web. Most sites you see on the web have a PR3.
- PR4 - Above norm. You've liable been intended nigh getting your site out there a bit.
- PR5 - Echt. A PR5 may ground you on the premiere diplomatist of both see results, pat yourself on the hindmost.
- PR6 - Large. You've obviously through several make on your SEO. You'll be able to fence for both top positions.
- PR7 - You're big! If you've got a PR7, analyze yourself a top situation. Most occupation situation businesses would do well to imaging of a PR7.
- PR8 - You're large. MSNBC.com and ESPN.go.com screw a PR8.
- PR9 - Your bigger than MSNBC, similar Yahoo.com, Twitter.com and NYTimes.com.
- PR10 - You're at the top, we all bang it: Google.com, Facebook.com and CNN.com are in your constabulary.
Note there are no decimal points in the scale. Therefore a site’s PR is only an indication of a range. One PR5 page may be at the low end, another may be at the high end. Either score may fluctuate during one of Google’s regularly re-indexing.